In My APPinion: Following Directions by Can Do Apps

Monday, December 15, 2014
Appy Monday!! Who's ready for another app review? I have been so behind on these since ASHA, so get ready for quite a few reviews to come your way soon. With that being said, this is a great time of year for app reviews because I am pretty sure a few of you have some apps on your Christmas list. Or maybe you will be lucky enough to receive an iTunes gift card this season! Apps make the best gifts for SLPs!!
I was pretty excited when the sweet people from Can Do Apps contacted me about reviewing their app, Following Directions, because I have multiple students on my caseload with following directions as goals. This app is very easy to navigate. When you open the app, you are brought to the screen shown below. This allows you to choose the specific target you want to use with your student(s). 

Before you get started, you are able to edit the settings by touching the gear icon on the top left side of the main screen. Doing this allows you to decide if you want the word prompts available and if you want your students to be reinforced for correct/incorrect answers. One feature I like in this app as far as settings, is that it makes you answer a simple math question before settings can be edited. I love that for my students that have litte wandering fingers :)
If you choose option #1, Touch The _____. Your student will be given 10 prompts that look like the one below. If you choose in the settings to have the words present, the prompt will be written above the pictures. The auditory prompt will not play unless you hit the circle sound icon at the top of the screen. I personally like the fact that the prompt is not automatically given when the new screen pops up. This lets me ensure that the child is ready to listen and is focused before the prompt is given. It also allows me to read the prompt instead of using the pre-recorded one, if I choose. 
Below is a screen show from option #2, Touch the ___ and then the ___.
The screenshot below is from option #3, Before Statements.
#4, After Statements
#5 Before and After Statements
At the end of each section, you are prompted with a score sheet to let you and your student know how he/she did on these tasks. 
I have used this app multiple times in therapy and I think that it is great and definitely worth the price. This is a simple app that is easy to use and navigate without having to watch a tutorial. The pictures are clear, colorful, and engaging for students. I have used this app as both a teaching and assessment tool. The only suggestions I would make for this app are:
-Have the option to store student data.
-Have the option to combine different following direction prompts.
You can learn more and download this app in the iTunes store, here! 


Powered by Blogger.